Subscribers work together to grow organic food on our site at Hammonds End Farm, on the edge of Harpenden, and at our site at the CDA garden on Hixberry Lane, St Albans. Our main working parties are on Wednesday afternoons (harvest day!) and Saturday afternoons, though members are also free to work at any time of day on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Space is strictly limited, currently to 35 members, but we keep a waiting list so that we can quickly fill any spaces.
Members pay an annual fee and commit to a certain number of hours work on the farm, and our weekly harvests are shared equally between all members. We have four different types of membership available to suit different lifestyles:
You can also become a community member, or Friend of FoodSmiles, by buying shares in the society (minimum one share, at £1 each). This contributes a little towards helping us grow and promote local food, and in return...
- you'll be able to come to our members meetings and help shape what we do and how we grow,
- you'll receive quarterly newsletters from us,
- you'll be invited to at least four of our events throughout the year,
- you can join our waiting list and get first 'dibs' on any subscription vacancies that arise,
- you may come along and volunteer on the farm if you want to.
If you'd like to find out more, to visit the farm with a view to joining, or to apply for either type of membership, please email our secretary at email@example.com.